Dr Ryan talks to Dr Baruah about microaggressions, how to recognise them, and what actions you can take.
Dr Tina Ryan talks to Dr Rosie Baruah about microaggressions, how to recognise them and actions you can take.
Dr Baruah is a Consultant in Intensive Care Medicine, Western General Hospital and Hon. Clinical Senior Lecturer, University of Edinburgh.
The Seven Acts of Allyship
- Appetite – Do you have the appetite to immerse yourself in the complex, emotive world of race equality?
- Ask – Ask questions about race, be curious, read, learn and educate yourself.
- Accept – Accept there is really a problem. More data aren’t needed.
- Acknowledge – Openly acknowledge that the problem needs to be dealt with.
- Apologise – Express sympathy that racism is affecting people of certain races.
- Assume – Don’t. Instead develop informed views by seeking to understand individuals.
- Action – Take demonstrable action steps to establish equality and be accountable.
7 A's Infographic: https://twitter.com/yvonnecoghill1/status/1280744970102636550
Dr Rosie Baruah: https://twitter.com/rosieICM
RCPE T&MC Instagram
RCPE T&MC Twitter
Upcoming RCPE Events
RCPE Events Calendar